Whether you are throwing a pool party or just want to bring something tasty to your next cookout, these chocolate popsicle cereal treats are the sweetest summer dessert! These rice cereal treats on a stick are the perfect pool party finger food that are easy to transport and eat. It is hard to resist these fun pool party snacks.
What to Bring to a Pool Party
Deciding what to bring to a pool party potluck or what foods to make for your guests can be tricky, but it is easier to decide if you consider the following tips:
- Easy to eat. Serve foods in individual serving sizes so guests and easily grab and go. Consider skipping utensils entirely by choosing foods that can be eaten on a stick or in one bite like this caramel puff corn.
- Proper temperature. If your food is in the hot sun it won’t last very long. If you are outside, try to set up your food table in the shade or serve food indoors. Be sure to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Try to serve as many foods that keep well at room temperature as you can to avoid any potential issues like these chocolate chip cookie bars.
- Bring on the color. A pool party is synonymous with summer fun so try to choose colorful foods that are in season to make a food buffet that catches the eye like this black bean corn salsa or these beach cupcakes. Add in playful touches with party supplies like food picks, napkins and cups that follow the theme.
- Easy to transport. If you are bringing your own food, choose something that does not fall apart easily and travels well without heat or refrigeration, especially if you are traveling a long distance. A fresh fruit salad or these cereal treats on a stick are perfect for traveling.
Ingredients for Our Pool Party Dessert
Only a few ingredients are needed to make this easy pool party snack that kids will love. You can make the rice krispie cereal treats yourself but you can keep this chocolate popsicle cereal treat recipe even more simple by purchasing them instead. The rectangle shape is the perfect size to make cereal treats that look like popsicles!
- rice krispie treats (rectangle)
- powdered sugar
- brown food coloring
- paper straws
- decorating bag
- Wilton Tip #8 (not required but recommend)
How to Make Chocolate Popsicle Cereal Treats
To start this pool party dessert you’ll need to cut your straws into thirds. You can choose to do a variety of paper straw color or stick with one. You’ll only need three straws to make 12 treats.
Insert one straw at the bottom of each rice cereal treat.
Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and milk. Once your buttercream starts to form and is smooth with semi-stiff peaks, add some brown gel food coloring to make the color richer. Mix until completely combined.
Scoop your buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton frosting tip #8 attached. If you don’t have that tip you can use a similar sized round tip or simply cut a small at the end of your decorating bag.
Frost the top of each rice cereal treat, covering it almost in its entirety: pipe out the bottom so that it looks like it’s “dripping.” You can even add some “drops” if you’d like! Use a metal spatula to smooth out the buttercream frosting.
Sprinkle each cereal treat and press down slightly so the sprinkles don’t fall off. That is all there is to making these fun kids pool party treats.
Pool Party Cereal Treats
- 12 rice cereal treats purchased or homemade and cut into rectangle
- 4 paper straws
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- brown gel food coloring
Cut your straws into thirds. Insert one straw at the bottom of each rice cereal treat.
Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and milk.
Once your buttercream is smooth and forms semi-stiff peaks, add a small amount of brown gel food coloring. Mix until completely combined.
Scoop your buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton frosting tip #8 attached.
Frost the top of each rice cereal treat, covering it almost in its entirety. Pipe out the bottom so that it looks like it’s a dripping popsicle. You can even add some “drops” if you’d like!
Use a metal spatula to smooth out chocolate buttercream.
Sprinkle each cereal treat, pressing down gently to ensure the sprinkles don’t fall off.
Store in airtight container until ready to serve.
If you are having themed mermaid pool party, check out all of my mermaid party ideas over on my other blog!
Thanks to Lisa from Fabulous Habits for this awesome popsicle cereal treat pool party idea!