While a red velvet whoopie pie for Valentine’s Day would certainly suffice for a little dessert romance, I couldn’t help but think outside the food coloring on this one. This Valentine’s Day you can not only impress your special someone with a semi-homemade treat but have a little fun with him too!
One of my favorite romance friendly desserts includes anything and everything that needs to be dipped. You can still with a fondue pot and some of your favorite meats and dipping sauces then follow it up with a chocolate fondue to dip pound cake and fruits … like cherries. Pair those with these chocolate covered cherry whoopie pies and you’ll find the way to your man’s heart … through his stomach.
Cherry Buttercream Filling
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup cherry pie filling, pureed
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 box Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 – 4 serving box instant Chocolate Fudge Pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray whoopie pie pan with Wilton cake release spray.
- In an electric mixer on a low speed, combine eggs, water, oil.
- Add pudding mix and cake mix.
- Continue to beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Using a spoon, place a large dollop of cake batter into each heart and spread evenly with the smooth side of the spoon.
- Bake 6 – 8 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center of a whoopie cake.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In an electric mixer, combine shortening and butter on high speed until mixed well.
- Add pureed cherry sauce and mix on a medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix for 1 minute until smooth.
- Using a disposable piping bag, pipe frosting between two layers of whoopie cakes.
Disclosure – As a Wilton Brand Ambassador I was provided with product. Opinions expressed are my own and are not influenced by monetary compensation.