A few years ago I visited my parents in July for a fun family cookout. With so many different tastes in our family, my mom has always been one to make several desserts to give everyone options. Because to not have options for dessert and the main meal for that matter, just isn’t my mom’s style. I recently came across the pictures for this sugar cookie fruit pizza and was aghast that I never shared the recipe. It turned out so pretty loaded with fresh berries on top.
As usual my mom was busy slaving away in the kitchen to prepare a delicious meal for 12 people and I offered to help her out. She had made the cookie base already but needed help assembling it and I volunteered for the job. <
How to Make a Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza
The original recipe she used came from Pillsbury, but we changed things up a bit. Using a pre-made sugar cookie dough make this dessert really easy. The most time consuming and fun part of this recipe was creating the design on top. My mom had a lot more strawberries than raspberries and so she asked me to work with the fruit on hand. No problem! I decided on a flower design to make good use of the sliced strawberries.
The original recipe calls for melted apply jelly to be applied over the top. While it states you can drizzle or brush the glaze, I found using a silicone brush worked best. It was much too thick to drizzle but perhaps if it was heated more it wouldn’t have gone on so thick.
The glaze adds some additional flavor to this dessert pizza and will help the fruit keep longer in the fridge. However, it really isn’t a requirement. Glazing the top does change the overall look of this dessert so it can be skipped if you don’t like it.
I found this sugar cookie fruit pizza was easy to cut. We did leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours to really let it set up.
- 1 roll Pillsbury™ refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup apple jelly, melted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Slice premade cookie dough ¼ inch thick.
- Lay dough slices in pan. Flour your fingers and press dough together evenly to form a crust.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is a deep golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and lemon peel in medium bowl until well combined.
- Spread over cookie crust.
- Starting in center, arrange fruit in flower like design with strawberries in the very center and a ring of raspberries around it. Use two layers of sliced strawberries in alternating pattern on outer edge. Use blueberries as filler throughout design.
- Drizzle or brush with melted jelly if desired.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Doesn’t this fruit pizza make the perfect treat for a summer cookout or for your 4th of July parties? This red white and blue dessert would be a great addition to your patriotic holiday celebrations!
Leave a Reply