If you caught my Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce post last week, you would have read about my very special ingredient. Well, I did it again. I made a dessert using Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic pickles. Only this time, I went with kosher dill spears, and I baked a cake.
Yes, a cake with dill pickle. You might be thinking I’m crazy, but this bundt cake turned out so deliciously soft and flavorful. I thought that pineapple and pickles would make a great combination, and they did.
These pickles taste fabulous on their own, but why not try something new with this recipe?
- ½ cup oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 Farmer's Garden by Vlasic Kosher Dill Spears, shredded (about ⅓ cup)
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained (about ⅔ cup)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using grater, shred pickles, leaving out peel. Drain.
- Beat oil, applesauce, pickles, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs well in large bowl.
- In separate large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix well.
- Slowly add to sugar batter and mix until well combined.
- Fold in pineapple and pecans.
- Pour into greased bundt pan (or 13"×9" pan) and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto wire rack to cool completely.
I left out the skin while grating, just because the skin was so tough. Once you drain you should be left with something that looks like this. (If you squint it almost looks like applesauce.)
I was originally planning to add a cream cheese glaze over the top. Unfortunately, when I went to make it, I realized we were out of cream cheese.
So instead of going with a plain glaze, I opted for some simple powdered sugar. The cake doesn’t need the glaze, and tasted great without. If you love something extra sweet on your cakes though, I say go for it!
My 7 year old gave this recipe a 10 out of 10. My six year old who ironically doesn’t like pickles gave it an 8.5. And my husband gave it an 8, stating that with a cream cheese glaze, it would have been over- the- top amazing. Maybe next time, I’ll opt for the glaze. Either way, this cake is delicious!
Have you ever tried a dessert with pickles?
Farmer’s Garden by Vlasic kicked off a program called Savor Simplicity this past May, meant to celebrate life’s simple joys and share recipes, BBQ tips and summer entertaining ideas. They share so many delicious and unique recipes! And even better, righ now they are holding a Savor Simplicity Sweepstakes, where you can enter for a chance to win a summer entertaining package valued at $1,500. As an added bonus, entering the Sweepstakes unlocks a $1 coupon for Farmer’s Garden. See full contest rules.
Disclosure: I received compensation for my time to create this recipe and post. All thoughts are my own.