Some of the simplest yet most surprising sweets are the ones where you take an everyday store bought cake mix and add a little flavor of your own. And that’s what we’ll be doing here. Ever wondered how the filling gets in the Twinkie? Me too, but I can’t help you. Not completely off subject though, we CAN put a twist on a basic cake mix and create your own little cupcake creation by adding a filling to the center.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- box of cake mix
- cup of frosting
Let’s Get Baking
- Prepare and bake your cake mix in individual cupcakes as directed on the box.
- Let cupcakes cool for at least 20 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut at an angle towards the center of a cupcake almost as if you’re carving the top off a pumpkin.
- Remove excess cake from the lid and put it aside.
- Fill the center hole of your cupcake with your favorite frosting.
- Replace the lid, frost and decorate.
Alternative filling ideas!
- strawberry jam in muffins
- melted milk chocolate in cupcakes
- flavored pudding
- jello squares
- mini marshmallows
To really get an understanding of how the process works for making a filled cupcake, watch in as I take a hands on approach with my Halloween filled cupcakes.