So Simple Slow Cooker Spiced Applesauce

I am blessed to have an apple tree that produced a ton of apples this year. But finding ways to use all those apples can be a challenge. The beauty of making homemade applesauce and also apple butter (as you’ll see later this week) is that a lot of apples are needed. I feel so much less guilty now that I’ve put a majority of the apples to good use. The best part about both of the recipes to be featured is they use your slow cooker to produce a wonderful aroma for your house and an absolutely delightful end result.

This spiced applesauce is almost a treat in of itself. It tasted fabulous warm as it was finally done just after we finished a family hike on a nature trail. Nothing beats coming home to warm homemade spiced applesauce. It also is a perfect treat cold. I love that it is a step a part of my usual applesauce which can get a bit tart. This on the other hand is like eating apple pie without the crust and guilt. Enjoy!

12 cups baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced

3/4 cup water

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon allspice (optional)

Place thinly sliced baking apples in crock pot and pour water over apples.

Cook on low heat for approximately 7-8 hours, stirring occasionally. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice if desired.

Cook another 30 minutes to an hour on low. If you find the applesauce chunkier than you like you can use a silicone wisk or potato masher to break it down further. (Do not use metal or you will scratch the bottom of your crock pot.)

Serve warm or cool and store in glass jars or airtight container. Keep refrigerated. Makes approximately 2 pints of applesauce.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1. Cat Davis says

Are you kidding me? That’s all there is to applesauce? In my mind I thought this was a more complicated process. And it looks soooo good. I’m going to buy a bag of apples this week and try it, Emma is an applesauce hog.

• says

I’m not exactly sure what kind of apple tree we have since it was here when we bought it. My guess is Cortland. Any kind of apple good for baking would work well but these work the best for applesauce: Pippin, Rhode Island Greening, McIntosh, Elstar, Cortland, Fuji, Gala, Gravenstein.

Just don’t for the love use Red Delicious since that is really only good for eating. :)

It really depends upon the size of the apple but usually one medium apple is about a cup of sliced apples.

Have fun!

2. Rebecca says

My cousin and I just took our two kids apple picking on Friday! I got a ton of apples to make applesauce…so I am so glad I saw this before I started looking for other recipes. I am going to make this tonight! Thanks for sharing. :)

• Rebecca says

Oh my goodness! I made the applesauce and it is amazing. It made enough to fill {4} 16 oz canning jars….plus a few tablespoons extra that we tasted! My entire family loves it. We have already gone through two of the jars at meals and my 3 year old went through 3/4’s of a jar today as a snack! I will be adding this recipe to my “keep box” so that I can make it every year…or whenever the craving strikes!

• says

That is awesome! Thank you so much for coming back to let me know your thoughts. I LOVE it too. Isn’t it like a wonderful treat? Do you prefer it cold or warm? I love it both ways…definitely a keeper. Watch for those sales on big bags of apples and make it year round. A pretty simple recipe, isn’t it?

• Rebecca says

I agree about the regular applesauce getting tart too. The next day I made a batch of plain applesauce with nothing added but water and it is pretty tart. I like it, but my son likes the spices applesauce better.

3. says

It looks excellent! I’ve never tried it in the slow cooker, but I made applesauce for all three of my kids as baby food. We’re going apple picking on the 1st and I’m going to try your recipe for the sauce!