Cinnamon French Toast Bake from Pillsbury

My mom made this awesome cinnamon french toast bake for my son Lucian’s fourth birthday celebration and of course you know I’m going to have to share it. It is very sweet and an easy way to feed a crowd. While you can pour syrup on after if you like, I personally feel it is sweet enough without it and don’t even bother adding the extra calories. The recipe is altered slightly to keep it from getting mushy by reducing the amount of eggs and syrup and it works perfectly!

1/4 cup melted butter
2 cans (12.4 oz each) Pillsbury® refrigerated cinnamon rolls with icing
5 eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup maple syrup

Icing from cinnamon rolls
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup, if desired

Melt butter and pour on ungreased 13×9 inch glass dish. Separate cans of dough into 16 rolls reserving the icing for later use.  Cut each roll into 8 pieces and add to buttered baking dish.

Beat eggs in medium bowl. Add cream, cinnamon and vanilla and beat until well blended. Pour over cut pieces of cinnamon roll pieces.

Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle 3/4 cup syrup over the top. Bake at 375 for 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.

Remove the covers from icing and microwave on medium  or 50% power for 10 to 15 seconds. (Should be thin enough to drizzle.) Drizzle icing over the top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup if desired. Yum!

This recipe can be found at and was altered slightly to suit our tastes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

1. Becca says

oh my GOODNESS! That looks sinfully wonderful, and it couldn’t have been posted at a better time, since Brian’s birthday celebration is this weekend. I know what I’ll be making him for his birthday breakfast

2. says

You wrote “Drizzle 3/4 cup syrup over the top and bake at 375 for 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes. Bake 20 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.”

Is this an error or are we baking and cooling it twice?

3. Cherie Popely says

Sitting here, trying to watch the finale of America’s Got Talent, and I can’t keep from drooling over your pictures!! One recipe and you have me hooked!! Looking forward to some “sweet, sweet” inspirations!

• says

So happy to have you here! Please browse the site for more goodies and be sure to subscribe to our email updates (upper right corner) so you don’t miss a thing. We are thrilled to share our love of baking with you. :)

4. Jenny says

Ok…I am looking to make this yummie creation but was wondering if it is as good after it’s cooled completely. I will probably be making it the night/day before actaully serving it. Also, will using a pyrex or metal pan be ok instead of a glass pan?! THANKS!

5. Sara says

Is this mushy on the bottom? I’m not a fan of mushy bread, so if it IS, I’d probably make it w/less egg and milk, but don’t want to mess with the recipe if I don’t need to.

6. Pam says

I just made this for supper for my husband and 4 boys. I made sausage and fruit salad with it. HUGE HIT!! I used 2 packages of the Pillsbury Grands cinnamon rolls, so I did 6 eggs instead of 5 and did everything else the same. Easy, delicious supper!!

7. Melissa Koch says

This was ABSOLUTELY delicious! First word out of my 5 year olds mouth was “mom…you hit the jackpot!” Thank you for sharing this!

8. Jessica Mize says

hi! I found this recipe on pinterest. My husband LOVES cinnamon rolls so i knew this would be a hit at our house. I tried it this morning. I followed the directions exactly except i omitted the pecans since my little ones wont eat them. Unfortunately though the bottom was very soggy. I could not even eat the bottom it was so soggy. Is there anything i could do to make it not so soggy? Less eggs? Less syrup? lower cook temp for a longer time? The top was AMAZING so i really want to find a way to perfect this recipe.

• says

Jessica, I’m so sorry to hear you had problems with the bottom being soggy. I hate a soggy bottom too which is why I use less eggs than the Pillsbury recipe. When we make it isn’t soggy but everyone’s oven is different. You could try using a bit less liquid or you could try cooking it a bit longer. If the top was as brown as you would like it you could cover it with foil so you can cook it longer without the top burning.

Hope it turns out more to your liking next time! Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)

• Jessica Mize says

ok thanks! it was browned on the top so i will try cooking it with foil next time. Would you suggest i cook it the whole time with foil or just the first 10-12 mins?

• says

I definitely wouldn’t cook it the whole time with foil because you do want the top to be a nice golden brown. You could try either baking it with the foil on at the start or add it to the last several minutes of baking. Out of curiosity, did you get close to the 28 minutes or were you on the lower range of the baking time?

• Jessica Mize says

ok thanks i will try that next time then. Next time will be for company so hopefully i will be able to get it right like yours. It actually cooked for 29 minutes. But we just moved into this house so i have not had time to really get to know my oven yet lol.

9. Donna says

Found this on pinterest and made it this morning… Everyone loved it! Bottom was not soggy at all… consistency of “french toast”. I think the pecans MAKE it but I made half with and half without because my kids don’t like them. Husband suggested adding diced apples next time… think I’ll try it!

• Jenni says

I halved the recipe since there’s just 2 in our house and made it the night before and popped it in the oven while I was getting ready for work this morning. It was delicious and super easy!

10. serena says

can u cut the recipe in half an only do 1 can ?? thats seems like a lot for just me, my son an husband ..please let me kno i would love to make it christmas morning :)

11. Kayla Summers says

Hi, I just did this recipe like the way it said, and my bottom came out soggy and it taste like eggs. I put it back in the over for another 15 min and it was still soggy is there something else that i can do. Please let me know. i loved the top and it was amazing good. But bottom not so much. Thanks!!

12. Ashley says

Hello! I’m wanting to make this for Christmas brunch. Do you think there’s a way to add eggnog?? I love eggnog French toast, so didn’t know if there might be a trick?? Any suggestions??

13. PamB says

Yummy!! We’re big fans of French toast, so this is a bound to be a hit at our house. I plan to make it for Christmas breakfast. Can’t wait!! Thanks for sharing!!

14. MommyD03 says

I just made a GLUTEN-FREE and DAIRY-FREE version and it turned out great! I halved the recipe and used an 8″ X 8″ baking dish. Instead of the Pillsbury rolls, I used 1 four-pack of Udi’s Gluten Free cinnamon rolls (found at Whole Foods–These are pre-baked). I used almond milk in place of the whipping cream and I used 3 eggs and 1/2 C. syrup since these were already baked and also because GF foods tend to absorb a lot of liquids. I wanted to make sure they were still moist. I also covered them with foil the entire baking time, since they are already baked. Everything else was the same. The dish was yummy–I never made the original recipe so I have nothing to compare it to, but we loved it and will definitely be making it again.

15. Tammi C says

Mine came out a little soupy on the bottom, but the top was brown. What did I do wrong? The top tasted delicious, but the soggy part made it hard to eat.

• says

Tammi, I’m not sure! Some people have complained that the bottom has been a little soggy and others have said it isn’t soggy at all. Ours wasn’t soggy. My only suggestion would be to lessen the amount of liquid even further. Perhaps only 4 eggs and a bit less cream. That is the beauty of recipes. You can change them to make them work for you! :) Good luck and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

16. Mary Leigh says

I wonder if a water bath would keep this from being soggy. It sounds like a Bread pudding recipe to me. Just a thought. sounds yummy, will make soon.

17. KG says

Since this is a bake, would you suggest refrigerating this overnight or no? Any change is taste/quality if I was to let it refrigerate overnight??

18. says

Yummy! French Toast is my FAVORITE breakfast food! And I would say cinnamon rolls are a close second…I can’t wait to try this! Thank you!

19. Mandy says

Is there an alternative to using syrup? This looks delicious but I just don’t like syrup!! Help :)

20. Bessie says

I just made this for breakfast and I love it! I found it on pinterest and had to try it. I halved the recipe and did not use syrup. It was fantastic! Even the leftovers, which were difficult to have, were fantastic! This is my new favorite! Keep them coming!

21. Lesa McCurry-Landry says

I just have to say I tried this recipe this morning and it was a HUGE hit with my family!! So easy to prepare and will definitely make this in the future!! YUUUMMMYYY!!!!

22. Jordan says

Made two bakes for our family vacation and it was a hit! Baked with foil on for the first 13mins and it came out perfectly! Thank you!!????????

23. says

Love this recipe, it is SO easy. Love that it is not complicated and easy to find ingredients. Baked this for a busy family as a gift… of my 40 Random Acts of Kindness to celebrate my 40th birthday. Thanks for posting recipe!

24. says

Loved everything about this recipe! Easy to find ingredients and easy to make. I baked this for a busy family and delivered it to them on my birthday. It was part of my 40 Random Acts of Kindness to celebrate my 40th birthday. Thanks for posting!!! I referenced this site in my post!!

25. Joan says

I made this and it was delicious! Everyone loved it. You don’t need a big piece as it is very filling. Thanks for the recipe!!

26. Keelie says

I plan on making this for breakfast tomorrow. Do you think it would be ok to just use regular whipping cream? I don’t have heavy on hand….thoughts?

• says

If you are referring to whipping cream in its liquid form, it should work. If you are talking about some whipped cream in a can or whipped topping, then no. But there are some other substitutes like this one you could try: “To substitute 1 cup of heavy cream, mix 3/4 cup of milk and 1/3 cup of butter/margarine (melted and cooled). Just don’t try to whip this, it won’t work. Many people insist that it can only be substituted with whole milk (as opposed to skim or non-fat) but you can try it in a pinch. ”
      Otherwise you could do half and half or evaporated milk but it might not have the same richness/creaminess. Let me know what you end up doing and if it turns out!

27. Lynda says

Can’t wait to try this! I love frosting and the packages never seem to be enough, so……. I melt marshmallow creme and butter together and pour over my cinnamon rolls. You know… a little cinnamon roll with my frosting! YUM! Great blog! Keep up the good work!

28. says

Just made this. Turned out perfect. I was worried as many said it was too soggy. The only different thing I did was instead of measuring the syrup I just poured some on top. I also cooked it the full time and did not cover. Thanks for the recipe. Will be one of my favorites!!

29. Nicole says

I would so chopp some thick cut bacon and add it to this…. as if this isnt enough calories already. This is an amazing share, it would be great to have the house filled with the scents of cinnimon and sugar on Christmas morning.