When I tried cake mix popcorn a couple of months ago, it was a big hit with my boys. I first made it for Valentine’s Day with my Valentine Cake Mix Popcorn. This recipe can easily be adapted for any holiday just by switching up a few ingredients. Sprinkles are a simple way to go from holiday to holiday. For Easter, I thought it would be fun to make a Bunny Mix Cake Batter Popcorn. I simply added some coconut into the mix and skipped the chocolate candies altogether. If coconut isn’t a flavor your family enjoys, you can easily substitute mini marshmallows for the coconut, or simply add them in addition. The more the merrier. There is definitely some room for additional ingredients to be mixed with the melted almond bark.
- 6 -7 cups popped popcorn (1 bag of microwave popcorn)
- 10 oz. white almond bark or white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup vanilla cake mix (or yellow cake mix)
- 1/ 3 cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup Easter sprinkles
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Melt almond bark in microwave, starting with 1½ minutes and stirring in 30 second intervals after that just until melted. Stir in oil and cake mix and mix until combined.
- Mix in coconut and pour over popcorn in extra large bowl.
- Gently stir to coat popcorn.
- Spread popcorn mixture into baking sheet. Top with sprinkles.
- Cool completely until hardened. Store in airtight container or Ziploc bag.
I used these fun bunny sprinkles from Wilton.
This recipe is so easy and little goes a long way. If you like really sweet popcorn, you’ll love cake batter popcorn!